Indian Centre for Missing and Exploited Children is a knowledge and database management system for the missing and trafficked children developed by Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) for the purpose of sharing of knowledge and data. Bachpan Bachao Andolan started its work on missing children in 2006 with the Nithari incident in Delhi and NCR region by contacting and arranging meetings with parents of missing children, intentding to understand the problem and to prevent children from being trafficked or going missing. These meetings were held at various locations in Delhi, namely
- SDM Office, Near Batra Hospital, Tughlakabad
- Bir Dani Bhamashah Park, Azadpur, Near new Fruit Mandi
- Maharana Pratap Park, Yamuna Vihar, Near Bhajanpura and
- BBA Office at L-6, Kalkaji
These meetings were held by area with participation from parents to discuss the following points:
- How the children went missing?
- When did the children disappear?
- Have you registered an FIR?
- What have you done to trace the children so far?
- What help were extended by Police and Administration?
- How do you assess the response from Police?
At the national level, Bachpan Bachao Andolan started at Khalilabad town in Uttar Pradesh, where many children went missing since 2009. BBA took the initiative to contact parents of these children and has been campaigning through Mukti caravan to generate awareness among masses as a preventive measure.
Bachpan Bachao Andolan has been approached by parents from Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkhand and Assam with requests to help to trace children who went missing. In most of these cases the children are being lured by middlemen and being trafficked to Delhi. The children are traced and rescued with the help from police and labour department.
Beyond discussing these points, BBA extends the following support and suggestions to all present in these meetings.
BBA campagins to generate awareness among:
- Parents whose children went missing
Please read the section when your child goes missing
- Community and schools
Please read the section Campaign & Initiatives
- Legal Support BBA provides free legal support to parents of missing children, where the parents are aware of the kidnapper or have a hint and did not receive adequate support from police and administration.
Since 2009, Bachpan Bachao Andolan has been working to generate awareness about missing children at the national level by using the RTI Act, through Mukti Caraven (A vehicle that roams in remote villages campaigning for child issues) and by contacting parents and collecting data.